The 2017 Closing date for receipt of applications is 30th September 2017
Penrith Mountain Rescue Team operates with approximately 40 on-call team members and needs a steady influx of new members. We have one recruitment intake per year in November when recruits join as inductees. From October to December the inductees are assessed on the hill in various conditions and we then invite some to join the team as probationary members. Probation lasts for a period of 1 year during which you will be involved in all aspects of team activities.
If you have read through this website, you will have gained an impression of how the team operates and what is involved in being a mountain rescue team volunteer. Be aware that Mountain Rescue is not as glamorous as some TV series have painted it. It can be hard work in difficult conditions. However, the rewards are gained from the satisfaction of helping people in need and also being part of a committed, caring and professional team.
If you are still interested then please ensure you read the Guidelines for Inductees and Probationary Members and then complete the application form and send it to the team.
If you feel that you would like to be involved in a non-operational capacity you could always join our Friends Group - they aim to help us with fundraising and support us with providing refreshments at training and raising our profile with the local community. For more information 'Contact Us' letting us know your contact details.
Requirements for team membership
- Aged 18 or above.
- Reasonably fit and capable of mountaineering in all weathers and conditions.
- Experienced in hill walking or mountaineering, with a good working knowledge of map and compass.
- A team player.
- Based locally.
- Available for call-out (taking into account the demands of jobs and families).
- Willing to attend regular training sessions – see the training page.
- Willing to spend time learning about the specialised equipment and techniques of mountain rescue and casualty care.